Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Ode to Billy Mays--and to the old America.

I am deeply saddened by the passing of Billy Mays. Of all the celebrity deaths of late, his has struck me the most deeply.

I had just starting watching "Pitchmen" on Discovery Channel and I loved it. Anthony Sullivan and Billy had the most fun making money that I've seen anywhere in a long time, and when you own your own business the fun part is the best and the biggest part of that.

Sadly, his passing marks a passing away of the old America (to me anyway). Here was a guy who was a consummate capitalist; he loved making money, he loved helping people make money, and he had his private life prioritized to enrich everyone he knew with his attitude and his blessings. It's a shame he won't be on television anymore to show people how to be a good person--especially if you have the kind of money he had earned. Billy was the living epitome of the American Way.

****

So too, the old economy of the United States has died. It took a few months, and make no mistake, it started a long time ago, but since the taxpaying American citizen is now part-owner of GM, AIG, Bank of America, Freddie, Fannie, and more, there is officially no more free market (I don't think there has been a free market in a long time, actually, but I digress). The United States is now a Fascist country, according to the classical definition of the word on Wikipedia. I'm still in shock about this.

I used to be pretty hopeful and upbeat about the future of America, and my freedom and ability to start a new business and be successful. Now I'm not so sure. I don't know what is next, and I'm sick to death of the government trying to scare me into submission with terrorist threats, the flu, illegal aliens, or whatever else they crank out to keep the charade going. It's dreadful and it's not the America I grew up knowing. With control of Wall Street, control of rank and file citizens is not that far behind. For the first time in a long time, I'm worried about my future. Sincerely.

I'm in mourning for the old America. I'm in mourning for Billy Mays. The loss of both is supremely depressing and completely incomprehensible.

It's so, so sad.

UPDATE: I saw a Billy Mays commercial on TV last night and it made me smile; I'm glad it's still running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home