Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Blogging Can Get You in Trouble at Work

ABC News: Blogging Can Get You in Trouble at Work

I'm so glad I own my own business. I am truly free to write what I want, and not live in fear of losing my job. To be honest, I think that reporting this story is to scare people from writing in their blog. I was stunned when I heard it on a radio news break, so I had to go find it out on the web. As a business owner, I can understand why these companies would not want people to read about their business dealings, but as a citizen, I would be opposed to controlling what people did or talked about in their spare time. I suppose that if they actually talked about my business by name, then it would become my business. That I could sort of understand. But the woman getting fired, and not ever mentioning the company's name? I would be calling a lawyer. Quick.

I wonder when one of these stories will end up in court as a violation of First Amendment rights.

My husband just asked what I was doing; I told him, and he fired me. Ha ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home