Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Moving. Again.

So when we got here last June, we found a house for rent close to the family. It was a little farm house on the edges of Louisville that larger McMansions surrounded as the suburbs grew. Now that I've established a need to be closer to downtown with my position, we've decided to move again.

It has been a very full year. First the move to Kentucky from New Orleans. Then, losing my dog. Then, rejoining corporate America. Then Officially rejoining corporate America. Now, moving again. As much as I hate moving, my residence will be mere minutes from the office (LOVE IT), and will save us at least $200 a month in gasoline, maybe more if prices continue to rise.

I'm sad to leave the little farm house; it wasn't anything special, and it was in need of a remodel (which I would have loved to have done), but it was the last place my dog knew as a home, and its sylvan neighborhood offered a good buffer for regaining my day-to-day city nerves after living so remotely for so long. And it had a really cool brick-red ancient metal roof.

Good-bye country, hello city.

We're moving to an historic neighborhood with magnificent stone mansions, and a yearly art fair that stretches for blocks and blocks. Since the city is relatively small, the country will always be twenty or so minutes away. I'll get my farm and forest fixes when I can.

One day I'll return to the wilderness, but not too soon. I'm enjoying cultural pursuits that my former life in Utah had denied me for the last few years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home