Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Fear & Loathing in Woody Creek

Dr. Thompson has left the planet.

Creeping Jesus. The bats must have been attacking.

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" changed my life. I have never laughed out loud as much as I did reading that book. I read that in mid-stream of college, somewhere around the time I changed majors from music to English. I'm not sure I was consciously aware of the book converting me from a choir geek into a journalist, but looking back now I think that F & L may have had something to do with that decision.

I'm grateful Thompson did what he did. He stomped new terra for a whole generation of journalists and writers, and every once in awhile I glimpse Thompson in somebody's writing style. And I chuckle.

I wonder if he left a suicide note...if he did, it is probably the funniest/saddest damn thing he ever wrote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home