Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Happy July 4th!

I began this blog with a list of things to do, as I recall, that would induce happiness or general well-being. Perhaps I'll make another list right now in honor of the Fourth of July, since living in America is a really big reason to be happy:

* Buy a hummingbird feeder. If you don't live in an area where hummingbirds spend the summer, then at least visit one of these places during your vacation.

* If you like music, at all, buy a satellite radio. They are wonderful!

* Crack open a cheap beer after doing yard work. There is nothing like an ice cold Pabst Blue Ribbon on a hot summer's eve.

* I love looking up from working on something to find all of my pets congregating around me.

* I like to watch a show called "Medium." I was watching last week when a short commercial for Tucker Carlson's new MSNBC show came on; this commercial looked almost exactly like the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" video, which I love. I laughed the entire time. I wish MSNBC would run this mini-movie-mercial more often. Tucker's new show is great; I love the back-to-back pairing with Keith Olbermann's "Countdown;" this could be the best two hours on cable news, period.

* I also like to watch a show called "House." I think I would actually go to a doctor that was as rude as this character is, because he's also very funny.

* I like that my husband bothers me in the middle of blogging to go the national treasury web site to find FAQs regarding $100 bills.

* Sometimes, a small town Fourth of July celebration beats any million-dollar fireworks freakout. Town picnics and parades, ice cream socials, talent shows...yes, America, these things still exist.

* I was cleaning the basment today and found a poster I have from the bicentennial..it's REAL 70s, a picture of Uncle Sam pointing, with the words "Get Into AMERICA." It has the official bi-centennial seal. I love finding cool stuff when I'm cleaning.

* I have a bottle opener from Lucky Lager engraved with "It's lucky when you live in AMERICA." It ALWAYS makes me smile.

Happy 4th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home