Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Harriet who?

Senate presses for quick Miers confirmation - MSNBC.com

I don't know...I just don't know. It seems that cronyism rules in the Bush White House lately; could Harriet Miers' SCOTUS nod be the latest in a long, bad string of friendly appointments? Since she has no judicial record, there is no telling. Her record of service to date does not have anything outstanding in it, either. She looks the part, though, in a kind of sweet grandmotherly way, like O'Connor. But we're not talking about looks here are we, because if we were I would say all John Roberts needed were fins and gills and he would have fit nicely into "Finding Nemo."

I suspect she won't answer anything during the course of the Senate Hearings. After the Katrina catastrophe/Brown/FEMA embarrassment, it would be no surprise if GOP senators are considering a filibuster of Miers. In light of Harry Reid (D-NV) recommending her nomination to the president, I'm sure the thought has crossed the more conservative minds in the senate. I honestly wonder what the president was thinking.

This will be an interesting story to follow in the coming weeks, mostly because its outcome will indicate whether or not we have a "lame duck" president in the White House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home