Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Hippie Trip

ABC News: EBay 'Hippie Vacation' Auction Spawns Cult Following

I love this story for a couple of reasons. The first one is that the hippie dude's sister refers to him as "a little touched in the head" and says "he talks kind of crazy."

So what does she do? Instead of getting him some counseling, or medication, any kind of professional help, she sells a cross-country road trip with him on Ebay. *sigh* Only in America.

The second reason I love this story is...well, the cross-country road trip with the crazy hippie dude sounds like an adventure, barring the law enforcement scrapes. This is something I might well have done in my Grateful Dead days back in the '80s. I can see how this Ebay auction for a hippie bus trip actually made money. I see a lot of old hippies on vacation. They have the money, they are still in good health and are active, and they are really into weird, surreal experiences and nature. Those baby boomers are still out there hoping to go "Further," if you know what I'm saying, and I think the "Hippie Vacation" auction sparked some kind of longing for the good old days. It sure made me smile this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home