Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Welcome to Southern Utah


'Natural family' stand stirs Kanab


Today, the southern Utah city (Kanab) is making headlines again - this time by becoming the first town to approve a nonbinding "natural-family resolution," which envisions women "growing into wives, homemakers and mothers" but says nothing about any roles outside the home.

Apparently, the city of Kanab felt so strongly that women should stay in their place that they had to pass a resolution. I'm glad it's nonbinding. Doesn't the city council have better things to do? I'm not against a woman being a wife, mother, or homemaker, but that is her private choice, her personal business that doesn't need to be politicized. This is so typical of these small southern Utah towns.

This resolution doesn't surprise me at all; nothing at all surprises me after living here for a few years. What would surprise me would be the city council passing a resolution saying women are free to choose and be whatever they want to be. Right now, this is almost as embarrassing as being from Kansas. *sigh* I'll find a rock to crawl under as soon as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home