Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Utah ISP blocks Wikipedia

8e6 Technologies

Where I live, we have a small, rural, private phone company that also provides internet service. Mercifully, I do not have this internet service; I am on a private network.

I was over at a friend's home last night who does have the local internet service and she said to me:

"I tried to get on to Wikipedia yesterday and this page came up saying my access was denied."

I, too, had noticed this page when I was browsing with my laptop on a network that used the local phone company's internet. 8e6 Technologies provides blocking software for internet providers. It seems as though our local internet service, provided by the little private phone company, is threatened somehow by Wikipedia. On their website, I see that "Kid Proof" Content Management is available with internet service. I didn't know Wikipedia was something that needed to be "kid proofed."

After looking around Wikipedia at length last week finding out all kinds of things about the history of the Mormon church, interesting photos, as well as discussion on a whole range of topics from the sacred to the profane, there was no question in my mind why the little, local, teeny-tiny rural phone company would decide to block access to Wikipedia. Good church-going folk wouldn't want kids asking too many questions.

It seems as though the phone company can provide a password code for those that want to view the evil website Wikipedia, and perhaps the phone company offers access if its more open-minded customers want that. I will find out more sooner or later and report it here. I am curious, though, as to what other web sites have been blocked.

Although my current provider has problems, I am SO happy I chose it over the phone company's service.

Wikipedia...who knew it could be so threatening? I love it. If I had a page on Wikipedia, if I somehow became a personage of note, I would go in and change stuff in it all the time, like...my house was made of candy...that I was born by the river in a little tent...that I use ten toothbrushes, all red, at any given time...can you imagine? It would be SO FUN! But then the serious Wikipedians would clamp down, I'm sure. Those people DO take the site very seriously, and I think that's what makes it great. Too bad the locals here don't get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home