Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Thank you for not smoking. AGAIN.

The weather here has been great. We took the afternoon off yesterday and went for a little walk around the French Quarter since we hadn't been down there in awhile. We needed something to do because we were a little ancy, because...

(drum roll)

We both quit smoking at about the same time. I had picked up the vile habit AGAIN when we were going through the move from Utah to New Orleans--I smoked real heavily for almost three months, but not quite. Then I stopped. On Sunday. Unexpectedly. It was just time to stop, and I stopped. I am blessed with the ability to do that. I don't have an "addiction." I don't really have withdrawal. I just stop, and I feel much better almost immediately.

Husband, on the other hand, has smoked regularly since about 2001. We had both quit for a short time after moving to Utah, but we both picked it back up in 2001. I have quit many, many times since then...Ha ha...usually because I get a crazy sinus infection. I didn't really want to get that far into smoking this time. In fact, I never want to pick up a smoke again. I always say that. I just hope it's true this time. I'm too old to get back into it. Husband just informed me that he is doing well with quitting--no cravings at all. Hmmm...

I gotta say, though, that smoking in a real humid climate in a dirty, air-polluted place is alot harder on your lungs than smoking in a place with the cleanest, driest air in the lower 48. A neighbor of ours in the building here has a really bad cough in the morning that can be heard through the walls. It sounds like he is hacking up part of lung--seriously, it is that bad! As much as we knew we needed to quit, hearing this guy every morning would make anyone WANT to quit! Poor dude...we wonder if he's gone to the doctor because we haven't heard him that much lately. We did check out his pick-up in the parking lot. The dash is covered with empty Marlboro Red boxes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home