Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Maple Leaf Bar

We decided it was time to indulge in some live music on purpose last night. Before, in our visits to the French Quarter, we'd wander into a bar and find music by accident. Last night, we thought we'd go and hear the Rebirth Brass Band, of which we've heard many good things. They did not disappoint.

The Maple Leaf Bar is a little dive at the college end of Uptown. There were many younger folks there, of course, but it was a good mix of all kinds of people...lots of guys in suits were there which was really interesting to me. Maybe they were trying to pick up on the co-eds. Anyway...

I decided I might have been the happiest person in the bar. There is no doubt that other people may have had a reason to be happier than I was, but after living in a town of 900 for six years with no cultural resources to speak of, listening to a band this awesome until 2 a.m. was a profound joy. I had a smile on my face the whole time. So did my husband.

The Rebirth Brass Band has some tasty chops. Imagine a New Orleans parade band, then imagine it in a bar putting a funky twist on every song played. It was a music lover's love-in...there was no way to listen and not be moved, especially when they started in with "When the Saints go Marching In" after rapping about how the Saints were going to the Superbowl. Everyone was whipped into a frenzy at that point. I couldn't believe that it was 2:30 when we finally got into the car to leave. I haven't stayed out or stayed up that late in a long time.

I can't wait to have another musical adventure. But maybe I'll catch up on my sleep first. New Orleans may have some troubles, but if you could have bottled up all the good will and happy vibes in the Maple Leaf Bar last night and poured it out over the whole city, all would be well. Maybe NoLa doesn't need more police...it just needs more second line parades with some kick-ass music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home