Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Back in the Big Easy

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (film) - Wikipedia

So we're back in New Orleans now for an indefinite period of time. There is a movie being filmed just a few blocks away from us; the above link tells as much as can be known about the mysterious goings on south of Prytania, where streets are blocked off and vintage automobiles sit by the curbs.

It's hot. We only brought winter clothing with us, and it has been consistently warm since we arrived. Last night, an eerie fog descended on the entire town, and it was suitably spooky. So far, we've unpacked and sort of regained our bearings as this place has been our other home since last year. We visited the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas, scene of the infamous post-Katrina looting, and it's as though nothing ever happened. It still was not open when we were here in July, so this is a new place for us to visit.

We have construction work ahead of us, but I also plan to indulge my creative side. How, I'm not yet sure. But I will check on some things I might need to do little art projects and see how that works out.

The last few weeks have been entirely stressful, and I'm glad to be here just sort of hanging out. I need the break from pressing needs, crisis situations, or being in the car for three days. And I am thankful for the warm weather! We left winter in Utah; here, it's still fall.

I went to church today for the first time in a long time. I couldn't even recall when the last time I took eucharist actually occured. But it was like getting on a bike...I remembered exactly how to do it. I don't see myself attending regularly, but it is nice to have just a few blocks away should the impulse strike.

The streetcars are still not back on St. Charles, but we expect them any day. City crews have been working feverishly at our intersection, digging stuff up, getting into manholes, redirecting traffic, all in a frantic bid to get the cars back up and running. That will be a wonderful day--and I'm honored that I'll be here to see it.

There is always something that needs to get done around here, but for now, we're lying low. We need the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home