Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Remember when Yahoo! chat was cool?

I remember when I used to LOVE going into online chat rooms provided by Yahoo!. During the whole 2000 recount uproar, it was loads of fun. My favorite room used to be Washington Watch 1. Now, it has degenerated into a right-wing dirtball flame-hate-fest. But I met some pretty cool people in there that I still think about every now and then...and I get nostalgic for the days when smart people used to hang out in there and talk about anything.

The debates in those early days of Yahoo! chat were so much fun. You never knew what issue would come up next, and watching the text go by while listening to some dirtball on the voice chat option was extremely entertaining, and usually REALLY funny.

I remember a really interesting conversation/debate I had with some guy about strategic voting versus voting for the correct candidate to represent you...the whole mainstream v. third party candidate argument. After we had finished, I knew I had won over some folks listening to the debate.

With the 2008 elections coming up, I still feel that way. I always will. Voting is your voice, and if you "vote strategically," or vote for the "lesser of two evils," basically you're lying--lying to yourself, lying to the rest of America, lying...lying...lying. And why would you want to do that? What good in the end is it, after all, to lie in any way? To me, with the whole voting thing, it simply prolongs a painful situation, i.e., bad government.

Don't buy the main-stream media opinions about third parties; it is their intent, being shills for the republocrats, to keep their patrons in government in power. You should always vote your conscience--always.

Just a sample of my side of the arguement...but I do think about how much I really liked hashing out the finer points of political discussion, and I believe that I could apply myself in some way to a campaign that I feel strongly about...perhaps I'll go and beg for work with some small campaign somewhere. I read James Carville's book "Stikcin" two years ago and I LOVED it. I don't agree with his politics 100% but I think he's an incredible human being, a go-getter, super-interesting and entertaining.

There was a small part of one chapter about how Carville fell out of love with practicing law and how he wanted to get into politics. So he went to D.C. and knocked on every door. He ended up with no work, broke, and crying on the street in the rain with a broken garment bag, as I recall. He finally got a job on a campaign in Pennsylvania (I think this is how the story went!) and the rest is history. I loved this vignette. The book is about character and why he remains friends with the Clintons, etc., but that story, about finding his purpose, his calling, and at an older age than most people would be brave enough to search for such things, speaks volumes about the man, and about what it means to be a "true believer" in politics.

I would love to run into Mr. Carville while I'm here in New Orleans, because I have a thousand questions for him about working in politics, campaigns, public relations, and all kinds of stuff like that.

But I remember how I was first turned on to all of this in Yahoo! chat...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home