Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Bush in New Orleans

Bush speech a bid to repair presidency - washingtonpost.com

I watched the president speak last night from New Orleans. His plans require HUGE sums of money. Where the money is coming from, I don't know. I don't know if anyone knows. It will be interesting to see what goes on with congress in the coming year, and if the president will actually veto something now that so much is at stake. This all-republican congress is spending money like a rich man's son who doesn't earn, but inherits his wealth--"Hey, it's DAD's money...I'll just spend some MORE...and MORE...and MORE." Where does the word "conserve" come into play with these conservatives, anyway?

I listened to the president more than I actually watched him. I was waiting to hear just how in the world we were going to pay for all the reconstruction and government involvment with the rebuilding process, but I never heard how that would happen. I was trying to glean something more from his words, but I could not find in his tone what was missing in the speech. I became very frightened for the fiscal future of the country, let alone what would happen in the event of a terrorist attack or natural disaster.

Perhaps it is "too little, too late" for the entire neo-conservative movement; after all, they have spent more money than Clinton EVER did. These high gas prices aren't helping out their poll numbers, either. And you know what really bothered me? How these "neo-con" politicians are all pro-life and Christian, but they just sat around and watched thousands of people suffer and die for 72 or more hours after the storm passed. Hell, they moved faster for one woman in a permanent vegetative state than they did for thousands of children, elderly, and sick that truly needed their help. Let us hope that the real conservatives step forward now and show these "neo-con" hypocrites and poseurs how the GOP should really be handling all of this.

Lastly, there was something very spooky about the president's speech. His backdrop was the St. Louis Cathedral. Very nice. It was lit up like a Christmas tree. How did they do that when power isn't restored to most of the city yet? Maybe the power is on in that part of town. It isn't. There was one clue that told the whole story: the cathedral clock. It never moved. The hands stayed at 7:37 for the entire time the president spoke. I supposed that the clock has been frozen there since Katrina moved over the city. That symbolized more to me than anything else last night. The dead clock that had stopped when the storm hit that morning.

To be honest, I was hoping to hear some real solutions to these problems, and an outline of where these funds would come from, or how the national budget would be altered, to pay for all this. I'm grateful that I was not directly impacted by this storm, but now I'm sure that all Americans will bear its brunt, sooner or later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home