Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Small businesses ready to rebuild

BBC NEWS | French Quarter keen to open for business

I love this story because it's so AMERICAN! Small business owners in the French Quarter are ready to clean up and get back to work. The small business owners have the most to lose and the least to fall back upon, and they are ready to get going and get reopened. I don't see why not as soon as water and electricity are restored. All those relief workers will need places to eat and unwind to feel normal until the tourists and the residents return. These business owners are even predicting that they'll be open for Mardi Gras. I hope they will.

So I'm wondering now...how are businesses of any kind faring in assessing damage and getting contractors hired? After all, the Hyatt cannot just stand open with no windows for the rest of the summer, can it? Since the city has been "evacuated until further notice," does that include Wal-Mart's insurance people? Hilton's damage team? When can those people do what they need to do? And when will they have enough employees to at least open as little as they can? What is the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce saying? Because without the businesses reopened, at the least, no one will have jobs to come home to when they can come home. Hopefully, they have a place to live if their jobs are waiting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home