Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

"Respondent Superior"

Hey! How would you like the lives of your parents, your family and friends, to be left in the hands of Michael Chertoff and Michael Brown? Be honest...after watching TV this week, how do you feel about Homeland Security, your security? My husband found this blog while rummaging around the internet this morning:

FEMA Failures

And on a more patriotic and romantic note...I recall that the United States once had a president that inherited his office in times of great difficulty and broad change. He wore a bow tie, and he was a simple farm boy from Missouri. He only had a high school education, but he saw us through the end of the worst times on the planet that anyone had ever seen. He kept a sign on his desk in the oval office, and it was a reminder to himself as much as anyone else that, at the end of the day, "Respondent Superior." Loosely, that's latin for the one in charge has to answer for the mistakes of those that work for him or her. We all know what President Truman's little sign said: "The buck stops here."

I pray President Bush will remember that in the coming weeks. He has no re-election to worry about; he should be more concerned about whether or not he does the right thing by the American people, whose futures and lives will depend upon Homeland Security and FEMA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home