Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Harriet Miers: The Baseball Analogy

ProfessorBainbridge.com: The Case Against Harriet Miers: The Baseball Analogy

While surfing around the blogoshpere this morning I found this charming and thoughtful essay comparing the Supreme Court to the "major leagues" and Harriet Miers to "Crash Davis" of "Bull Durham."

According to Professor Bainbridge.com, Ms. Miers may not have what it takes to "play in the big leagues:"

"Crash Davis was a smart and skilled baseball player, but he couldn't make it to the show because there were hundreds of other players who were even smarter and more skilled. Likewise, Harriet Miers doubtless is a smart and skilled lawyer. Her credentials are undeniably impressive in many respects. Certainly more so than my own in most respects. But - and this is a big but - there are hundreds of lawyers in this country whose resumes, smarts, and skills are as, if not more, impressive as Harriet Miers'."

With all the conservative ire in the air regarding this nomination, it is becoming more possible, from what I understand, that Ms. Miers may not be confirmed. The GOP members of the Senate may have a total melt-down and break ranks with the president. If that scenario was to occur, another quote used in "Bull Durham" comes to my mind that could describe Ms. Miers' SCOTUS drama:

"Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, And waste its sweetness on the desert air." - Thomas Gray, Elegy in a Country Churchyard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home