Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

One of the worst ideas...EVER

Bush: Military may have to help in pandemic -- CNN.com

I have to say I like the Posse Comitatus Act exactly as it is written. Once again...what is the president thinking? Well, we can sort of figure it out from this:

Absent an effective vaccine, public health officials likely would try to stem the disease's spread by isolating people who had been exposed to it. Such a move could require the military, he said.

"I think the president ought to have all options on the table," Bush said, then corrected himself, "all assets on the table -- to be able to deal with something this significant."


The Cato Institute also likes the Posse Comitatus Act as it is:

Gene Healy, a senior editor at the conservative Cato Institute, said Bush would risk undermining "a fundamental principle of American law" by tinkering with the act, which does not hinder the military's ability to respond to a crisis.

"What it does is set a high bar for the use of federal troops in a policing role," he wrote in a commentary on the group's Web site. "That reflects America's traditional distrust of using standing armies to enforce order at home, a distrust that's well-justified."


There is a lot of low-key news about the avian flu suddenly, from Google and ABC News web sites to the cover of National Geographic. I hate to be too suspicious, but what exactly do the powers-that-be know that we do not know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home