Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Huh?

Mohammed cartoons

I found the cartoons at MSNBC.com, of all places. I've been looking for these for a couple of days now, just so I could see what it is that seems to be the trigger point for World War III. Since I'm not a Muslim, I cannot see the insulting and violence-provoking nature of these drawings. Perhaps I've lived in the land of the free too long and I'm jaded and hardened by all the Jesus- and priest-bashing that's gone on here with little outrage.

I am somewhat disturbed that these few drawings could cause so much violent protest. Of course, I think that protest is fine. It's the violent part that really does not further the message of Islam. It would serve them better to take a page out of the Ghandi play book--could you imagine how spooky it would be to have thousands of people just sitting, silent? That would be much more powerful. Violence only validates the message of some of the cartoons--and why would anyone want to reinforce a message like that? How ironic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home