Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

The new national monument

CNN.com - 'Ecological jewel' now a national monument

I am pleased that President Bush has done this. I also find it of interest, and sensible, that NOAA will manage an oceanic monument. I wonder if there will be any input or grousing from the National Park Service. There were some there that were displeased with the Clinton Adminstration's decision to allow the Bureau of Land Management to oversee all of Clinton's western monuments.

I have to say that the 1906 Antiquities Act has been my raison d'etre since I left the corporate world and went west in 1996. Interestingly, Grand Canyon was first protected as a National Monument by Teddy Roosevelt (one of my favorite presidents), which was were I worked for years when I first moved out west. We now live and work in Utah because of Clinton's Grand Staircase-Escalante declaration, which occured while we were working at Grand Canyon.

I remember that day vividly, because we were not allowed to work or to leave Tusayan per the Secret Service until Clinton had boarded Air Force One to leave. At the time, I had no idea that day would impact my life as broadly, or as interestingly, as it has. I just remember seeing the president in his Suburban as he was whisked into the park to make his speech. It's hard to believe that that will have been ten years ago this September--good lord, time flies when you own your own business. I'm not sure if any celebrations will be going on here for the big anniversary, as the decision to create this monument is still negatively viewed by the local population in Southern Utah. We might have a party...heh.

President Bush's new monument will be so much more peaceful, in so many ways. I'm happy that the 1906 Antiquities Act still serves a purpose. I hope the president uses it again before he leaves office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home