Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

FEMA Debit Cards Gone Wild

Is anyone REALLY surprised at how the FEMA cards were spent? After all, those funds were not loans; the FEMA debit cards were basically FREE money, courtesy of American tax payers.

CNN.com - FEMA cards bought diamonds, erotica

I look at it this way. If you give someone $2000 it had better be a gift, and you should say to yourself, "What they do with the money is their business. It left my hands and it's in their hands now. If they use bad judgment, that's not a reflection on me." Yes, we can be full of righteous indignation over some poor displaced New Orleanean buying "Girls Gone Wild" DVDs and a divorce, but come on now...who at FEMA ever thought just handing out free money was a good idea? If you don't earn money that you have, what incentive do you have to spend it wisely? Shouldn't we ALL as concerned citizens, voters, and tax payers, take a bit of the blame here and try to figure out a better way to help our fellow citizens in need instead of judging them? What's that old saying? "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat the rest of his life."

There is a story about Davy Crockett running for Congress that concerns government welfare for victims of disaster. It's a long story--but I'll shorten it here. Back in his day he made a serious blunder voting for financial aid for victims--and his constituents were furious. He had to apologize at a fundraising dinner for that, and even contended that one voter in particular had changed his mind on the subject. He went on to give his legendary "Not Yours to Give" speech to Congress over another issue concerning charity. Go read part of it here. As a fiscal conservative, I really love this speech. I wish our current Congress spent less. That's another story, though...

If FEMA finds it is easier and cheaper to give away $2000 to each applicant instead of doing something else, then I suppose no one has the right to complain about either how the funds were spent or how FEMA just gave them away. Most of the victims actually used their $2000 to find a rental home and buy groceries until they could find a job. However, I think FEMA should stay out of the money gift business. Congress needs to step in and stop this. If American taxpayers want to give away their money, they will do so on their own--not via FEMA. And most Americans are good, charitable people, caring and generous. In my experience, help that is offered sincerely will be accepted sincerely. A debit card with $2000 free and clear is just too impersonal. Maybe there should have been a disclaimer on the back of each card..."American tax payers (including, hopefully, YOU) have offered you this gift in good faith that you will rebuild your life and pay your taxes with your new job to help someone else that might need a $2000 gift for any other reason at some point in our nation's future when disaster strikes. Thank you for your understanding."

Nahhh.

A gift is a gift--no strings attached. I hope all of you FEMA revelers have enjoyed your big vacations, jewelry, and DVDs. Most of us paid for it on April 15.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home