Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

This flag thing is dumb.

American Chronicle: Is love of the flag obscuring our freedom of speech?

I agree with the editorial I have linked to above--completely.

I can't believe the Senate is actually taking the time to discuss this NON-ISSUE! It must be an election year,
because lord knows these idiot hot-button issues aren't brought to the floor that often. Of course, Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) is supporting this. He's up for re-election this November. I've noticed that people that support this like to wrap themselves in the flag, but you better believe that you ONLY have freedom of speech as long as you agree with them. Hypocrites. But that's another story...

There are more pressing issues to be discussed, like health care, the trade deficit, and the war in Iraq. Senators, don't waste your precious time at work (what is that? Like, 92 or 96 days out of the year?) on this dumb-ass proposal. Fix my freakin' social security or the IRS, for god's sake...anything that would help me in my quest of life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness--not this pointless political bullshit.

I am secure enough in my love of the flag and what it stands for that I am not moved by its desecration. I am more troubled by assaults to the constitution via legislation and presidential decree, frankly. Because without true freedom, what really is our flag worth?

Nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home