Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Fear & Loathing in the Big Easy

NOLA.com: 5 teenagers shot dead in Central City

It must be pretty stressful living in New Orleans right now. When my husband and I were there last December, we were talking with his family and they told us, "Just wait until hurricane season next year...you'll see people go crazy from the stress." I would have to say that they were right on the money with that prediction. After all, the city was still in a moldy heap when we went, and as hard as people have been working on levees and clean up since then, nothing is happening as fast as it should to be ready for another hurricane. It's all still so vulnerable--and so are its citizens. What an ugly headline for Father's Day.

As scary as five people being shot dead can be, I can't wait to return. In fact, this wouldn't even be a national headline if not for the fact that national news outlets are down there 24/7 now. So of course, my husband and I are tentatively planning to return to the Big Easy in July for a few weeks. I am anxious to catch up with Dorothy, my mother-in-law's cousin, to see how she's faring, as well as her son and daughter, who have two very different "rebuilding-their-lives" stories. And I hope the cable cars are running on St. Charles. With everything else happening in the city right now though, I'm sure that project is somewhere near the bottom of Mayor Nagin's "to-do" list.

I will keep updates of our trip, per usual, here at the blog. Check back often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home