Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Live Earth--please. No more.

Live Earth: Dead on arrival - Los Angeles Times

I too am tired of really, really, really, rich people putting on giant shows that waste who knows how many gallons of gas, rolls of toilet paper, wattage from already over-stressed energy infrastructure grids, and then tell us to go home and change the light bulbs. Hypocrisy. Blather. Unnecessary.

I like Al Gore 2.0 a whole hell of a lot better than Al Gore 2000. Don't get me wrong. I have compact fluorescent bulbs in every one of my light fixtures. I totally believe, with all my heart, that there should be every effort made to discover AND USE the bleeding edge of technology to ease our lives and go easier on the planet. I am all for keeping it green, and I do it.

But I hate the preaching-on-the-street-corner aspect of the Live Earth event, and I believe that is what Jonah hates about, too. Don't stand up there on the stage, celebrity freak, and talk to me about SUVs after you just wasted 11,000 gallons of jet fuel to fly to London. Like one great teacher once said, "Don't let the right hand know what the left hand is doing."

And the whole 1980s-ness of the "Live Whatever" shows is totally sucky. I'll bet if you asked a 24-year-old how to put on a world-wide green concert that was a huge, global event, he or she would say, "That's totally lame. I support local bands, anyway." It's 2007...the "Live Ape" shit needs to go away.

Live Earth was a good idea, but its execution seemed hopelessly dated, insincere, and about as far away from grass roots and eco-friendly as a Hummer off-roading outside of an oil field in west Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home