Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Crocs: It's love-hate.

By Executive Order, Crocs Aren't Chic - washingtonpost.com

The President wears Crocs.

Crocs have already peaked as the "shoe to have," in my opinion. When Wal-Mart and Sears are making a Croc-knock-off, you know the rage is over. Or is it? You would never know by the way Crocs treats their retailers. Dealing with Crocs was a huge pain in the ass if you were a business trying to buy their product for your store.

We carried these shoes back when they weren't cool and built a fanatical consumer base for Crocs via the hiking and canyoneering community. We were a small, seasonal account, but we helped make Crocs what they are today. By the summer of 2005 Crocs would barely ship the order I sent in, and two months' late at that. By 2006, my competitor across the street lied to Crocs and snagged my account--and Crocs didn't even have the common courtesy to pick up the damn phone and ask me if I was still in business (my competition told Crocs I was out of business--I was not).

Crocs treats their accounts like crap. And now I find out this:

Could they (the president's Crocs) have been in a goodie bag at the May fundraiser for the Virginia Republican Party, which, according to the Associated Press, Crocs Chairman Rick Sharp hosted and Bush attended?

Grrr.

They are still great shoes for stream hiking and boating. I cannot deny that. But, as the writer of this column suggests, I WILL consider finding another brand of shoe for day-to-day wearing so I don't look like some white trash dirtbag shuffling around at Wal-Mart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home