Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fall Recipe: Chicken Apple Cheddar Bake

ONE huge boneless chicken breast
2 T. Sour Cream
2 T. minced garlic
one red apple, peeled, sliced, cored
3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded or sliced
Ritz-like crackers (saltines will NOT work!!)
Sugar to taste
Thyme, Salt and pepper to taste
Baking pan prep spray


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Take 9" glass pie pan, spray with pan baking spray, and distribute the sour cream all across the bottom.

Slice the chicken breast length-wise, creating two or three half- to quarter-inch thick pieces of chicken breast. Lie the chicken across the bottom of the pie pan.

Smear the minced garlic on top of the chicken, then sprinkle two or three pinches of Thyme, then salt and pepper as desired.

Sprinkle the apple slices generously with sugar. Then place the slices on top of the chicken, covering all.

Take the cheddar cheese and cover the top of the apples.

Crumble the crackers and cover the entire top of the dish until everything is completely covered and possibly buried beneath a half-inch of cracker crumbles.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until crackers are brownish and you can hear bubbling of the chicken broth. Remember how thinly the chicken is sliced...it should cook quickly.

Remove from oven and let sit for five to ten minutes. Serves two delightfully, with cornbread and carrots as a great addition for a perfect fall meal!

I made this for lunch today after eating something similar at Cracker Barrel earlier this month; adding the garlic added a whole new flavor dimension to the recipe. I think mine is pretty good. It's important if you are going to substitute crackers that you use a cracker that is fairly oily, like a Ritz, or a Sociable, or something very much like those. I think even Cheez-Its would be a good substitute.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome! I'm definitely going to give it a try.

4:29 PM, October 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home