Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

"If you're reading this..." pt.2

I was drawn into reading my own blog one night last week, and I got stuck for about an hour reading old entries from 2005 and 2006. It was interesting for a few reasons, one of them being the change in my writing style that is clearly evident since I've moved away from the wilderness.

There was a brashness in my diatribes that seems to be missing from my recent entries. Perhaps it's my own perception of my present situation that is coloring how I read, well, me; I can tell you that I am very judgmental of my own works, so perhaps I'm not the best judge of what is good writing and what is REALLY good writing. I loved how direct I was--very powerful, like a voice in your head (I hope I still have THAT).

I was very entertained reading the old me. I laughed a lot. I was impressed with how accurate my economic predictions have turned out, but I think a lot of other people were thinking the same things, so it's not too surprising. To be honest, I'm not completely sold on the total economic meltdown that James Kunstler or other Peak Oil prophets foresee. I guess anything is possible, but people are still out on the highways, going to work, going to the mall, and buying real estate. So I'm not real sure how painful the gas pump crisis has been. It sucks, but it isn't derailing my life and lifestyle in any way. Still, it would be prudent to consider what $10 a gallon gasoline would be like. I never thought I'd see $4, and here we are.

I recall one blog entry where I talk about my customers, people that live regular lives and have regular jobs. I'm one of those people now...very curious. Life. Hm. I was totally engrossing when discussing New Orleans, or the drama that is Utah Politics. In fact, I believe I have the beginnings of a really good book. I just don't know how I can pull it all together--maybe it would be a better screenplay, sort of a slice-of-life chick drama.

There is no doubt I'm a good writer. That's a lock. I'm just unsure of where to channel myself. Fiction doesn't work for me. I have tried--Lord knows. And it's best that only the Lord and maybe three other people know what my attempt looked like.

*sigh*

I think that maybe my day-to-day life in an office is sapping my ability to remain on top of current events, and sapping my will to sit in front of the computer when I am not at work. This one change in my life could be the reason I'm not as prolific and chatty as I have been in my past posts.

Wait a minute. Why the hell do I care anyway? No one reads this except for my friends and some family; my husband says he refuses to read me until I in some way monetize my written words. He constantly wishes aloud that I wrote more, and got paid for it, because I am "SO good."

I don't know what else to say about this. Maybe I'm just working out some shitty variant of writer's block that curses you not with a blank page, but with poor-to-middling ability. ::YAWN::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home