Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Missionaries. Shirtless. Trouble.

Mormon facing discipline for shirtless calendar - MSNBC.com

There are so many levels of hypocrisy here I am not sure where to start.

Maybe I should start with how the calendar makes Mormon men a sexual object for a change, instead of the women. That probably upset some old church folks.

Then as I read on, I realized that the calendar creator, himself a "Jack Mormon" that has not been involved in his church since 2002, probably hasn't tithed 10% of his earnings from the somewhat successful calendar, which is now its second edition. This is a serious enough problem in and of itself, never mind the half-naked ambassadors of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Facing excommunication is serious if you believe in your faith. However:

"Members have been excommunicated for reasons including criminal activity and scholarly works of history or theology that contradicted church claims."


This guy should be proud to be lumped in with the author/historian who wrote the carefully-researched-from-church-records account of the life of Joseph Smith, the DNA scientists who disproved the church's belief that American Indians were the lost tribes of Israel, and my freaker friend Keven that makes drums.

If the church excommunicates him, he will be in good company. Somehow I suspect that the church and the calendar man will come to a financial and spiritual understanding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home