Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

New Work.

So I have a new job. I haven't told too many people about how it's going, because I've only been there a month. So I've decided to make a "pros" and "cons" list to better describe my new position by contrasting certain things about the respective offices:

Old job: Cubicle in a skyscraper with no view, florescent light.
New job: Large desk with a second story view of downtown from large windows that let in lots of sunlight. The room was probably a bedroom when the house was built, which was in the 1830s.

Old job: Prototypical office, replete with drama, gossip, and that one bitch that would give me dirty looks when I wished her a good morning in the halls.
New Job: Old town house rehabilitated for use as an office with really interesting architectural details, and five other co-workers, all of whom are friendly and professional.

Old job's boss: "Well, we can't do this because (attorney X) might not like it so we have to do this instead, and it's a drag, but that's the way we have to do it because people might complain--well at least this group of people will complain, but most of them will be fine--but we DO need to take the complainers into account because they're sort of important, so we can't say no (I know they're unreasonable, but they are the BOSS, for gosh's sake!), and you want to do what instead? Oh that makes too much sense. So just forget about it."
New job's boss: There's a deadline in a couple of weeks, so just make it happen...oh yeah, well, we'll talk next week. Great."

I have to say that the environment and the expectations of work are almost 180 degrees opposite from my first corporate comeback job, which was much shorter-lived than I had expected or planned for...but looking at a list of the work which my new firm has been involved in makes me so, so proud of the new job. I wish I could give more details but I cannot really, except to say that they've helped save America's most precious places, the institutions--no, icons--of our built environment for a long, long time, working hand-in-hand with the federal, city and state governments, and institutions of higher learning. The breadth of the portfolio is staggering and literally makes my heart swell with pride every time I look through it.

I pray to do well learning my new trade, and I pray for continuing in the work with the coming harder economy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home