Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

John Barlow's Blog

BarlowFriendz

While I was wandering around Wikipedia this morning I found a link to John Barlow's blog. I realize that he's a busy guy, but I wish he wrote more. It's a great blog, aside from the French spam in the "comments" section. He also co-founded one of my favorite places out on the internet, the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Go to this link right now and poke around; there will be something there to outrage you and get you passionate about freedom, I guarantee.

After the "Katrina snub" in the President's State of the Union speech this year, Barlow had this to say about New Orleans in his blog:

"Again, I'm thinking of moving there. Some time back, I spent close to a year wearing a button that said, "I am Salmon Rushdie." In much the same way, I would now be proud to declare myself a citizen of New Orleans."

I really hope Mr. Barlow makes good on his promise to move to New Orleans. That town needs intelligent, vocal, involved people to push it past the current quagmire and get it back up to speed. Personally, I hope I can be one of "those" people. As of this writing, I cannot say how long I'll be living in New Orleans. I hope to at least be there through Mardi Gras--and even a bit longer. Only time and circumstances will tell if I'll just be a drifter landing for a few months, or something else entirely. I'll make no plans and see what synchronicity sends my way. That's always the most fun.

So, John Barlow...go ahead and move to New Orleans, or at least buy something and visit often. Aside from your other interests and skills, at the least the place needs a poet-in-residence. The recent flap over the state poem is reason enough for you to move to Louisiana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home