Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Grand Staircase-Escalante turns 10

Controversial Monument Turns 10, Locals Change Their Tune

Well, what wishful thinking.

See the picture on the left? This is a road out on Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument that Kane County decided they wanted to control, so they put up their own sign, right next to the federal sign. This particular case is now in federal court. I hope the hammer comes down HARD on Kane County. They want control (and by extension, maintenance responsibility) of these crummy roads. As far as I'm concerned, if Kane County actually took care of the roads they wanted to keep I might be more inclined to be on their side. Since they never come here and actually grate the roads in their county, I say the government can have them. I don't think people realize how crazy this is. This would be like me putting up my own road signs on the monument. And I would be in JAIL, unlike the Kane County Commissioners.

The Kane and Garfield County, Utah, commissioners were still trying to find ways earlier this year to overturn the monument. They were wasting taxpayer money on lawyers instead of seeing an opportunity to build infrastucture and take financial advantage of tourists, who are generally happy people willing to give you money for decent services and food. Locals in my town still hate the monument. They don't see the opportunity in a well-planned tourism economy, and they are already losing out while all the new people are making the big money.

We heard a rumor that Governor Huntsman came here this spring and did a bicycle tour of the area. After seeing its incredible beauty, apparently he put the word out that he could not support the county lawsuits because the area is worth protecting and promoting as a tourism destination.

The Monument has been a boon to my personal economic success and I am cashing out of Utah a heck of a lot wealthier than when I came here. Of course I had to live here for six years and pioneer a business from the ground up, but I'll be paid well for my time and efforts. Plus, I got to go hiking in the most beautiful part of the Southwest.

So thank you President Clinton for creating an opportunity for me to start my own business and for creating a reason for area real estate to appreciate in value. The monument designations were among the best things you did in office, and none was more important than Grand Staircase-Escalante.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home