Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, September 15, 2006

List of acceptable emblems for VA-furnished grave markers.

Veteran's Affairs list of approved headstone symbols

After the Wicca symbol story below, I was curious about what "emblems of belief" that were allowed on VA-furnished headstones, so I went to the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs web site to find out. It was really interesting, I thought, that the Mormons had their own symbol apart from everyone else's, as did Lutherans and Episcopalians. The Catholics don't really have their own symbol. But Athiests DO have their own symbol! It's not even a religion...crazy!

If the government provides these symbols for these religions, then they cannot cherry-pick and choose which religions they would deny. It's totally unfair.

Some might argue that the government shouldn't be in the headstone business anyway. I wish that they were not for many reasons...but it is the least of a benefit they can provide for the the ultimate job duty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home