Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Crikey!

"‘Crocodile Hunter"’ Steve Irwin dies

And he died from a pretty nasty animal attack, too. If you have ever been the victim of a stingray barb, you know how horribly awful it is, how deep the wound can be, and how much pain you think you can endure before the little purple box closes in on your field of vision and your eyes roll back into your head from the agony of the injury. It's truly horrid.

I know. I was attacked by a stingray in Mexico.

It was incredulously, nightmarishly painful. The barb strike was in my foot (my foot, mind you. Steve's wound was to his chest. All I could think of when I read the account of his death was, "Well, of course he died."). I thought I might die when after one hour of discovering the injury, the pain only increased as the neuro-toxins began to spread up my leg toward my knee. At that point, we decided it might be a good idea to find a doctor. I took three ibuprofens and off we went into to the busy area of Puerto Penasco to find a clinic. We found one, I got treated, and the health care system in Mexico was wonderful compared to what I would have had to go through in the USA if I was faced with the same problem.

Poor Steve. But you know, he played with wild animals. That is never a scenario that you can control. It is like gambling--and one day, you will lose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home