Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

"9/11" too profane?

Some CBS affiliates worry over 9/11 show

To use the words "Sept. 11 documentary," "First Amendment," "Janet Jackson's breast," and "Super Bowl" in your lead sentence is pretty damn good journalism. Wow. You write, Larry Neumeister!

Besides that, what I find unreal is that this documentary, "9/11," which I have seen twice, would actually worry station affiliates about being fined by the FCC because of the cursing. This film is one of the most profound records of what happened that day that I've ever seen. It makes me cry every time.

Frankly, it IS an adult program because of the nature of the video. I would think twice about allowing a teen-ager to watch it. However, it is a real account. The truth matters; it matters to me in the very syllables of every curse word uttered by the firefighters on that day. I'm with Martin Franks, executive vice-president of CBS Corp.:

"We don't think it's appropriate to sanitize the reality of the hell of Sept. 11th," Franks said. "It shows the incredible stress that these heroes were under. To sanitize it in some way robs it of the horror they faced."

And it robs us, the mature, television-viewing American public, of the truth. Continuing:

So far, about a dozen CBS affiliates have indicated they won't show the documentary, another dozen say they will delay it until later at night and two dozen others are considering what to do.

On Friday, Sinclair Broadcasting became the latest company to say it was delaying the broadcast until after 10 p.m. on its stations in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Portland, Maine, saying it was concerned it could face fines.

The announcement came as the Tupelo, Miss.-based American Family Association readied its 3 million members to flood the FCC and CBS with complaints after the documentary airs.

"This isn't an issue of censorship. It's an issue of responsibility to the public," said Randy Sharp, director of special projects for the group, which describes itself as a 29-year-old organization that promotes the biblical ethic of decency.


Dear American Family Association members:

If you are afraid you might be offended by this program and you KNOW when it will be broadcast and you KNOW what you might hear...well, turn the TV off. Turn the off button on, as our dear commander-in-chief advises. I find your complaints baseless and gratuitous in light of the fact that you already have probably seen this documentary, and it has already aired TWICE since your sudden decision to complain about it. You're complaining now? NOW?

Frankly my dears, I don't give a DAMN. And neither should the FCC.

--Coyote

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home