Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Monday, September 18, 2006

More Grand Staircase stuff

Grand Staircase born amid controversy -- deseretnews.com

President Clinton ten years ago today, signing the proclamation that would change my life.

This article has all kinds of quotations and opinions from all kinds of people. I know about half of the people that were quoted. This is what you live with if you come here to work with the monument. I wouldn't say that the locals are completely bitter; they've mellowed actually, if you can believe it! Really, it has been an interesting six years here. I'm glad I did it. The socio-political climate will only get better as time goes on, because it has improved vastly since 2000.

As much as I like Mr. Ramsay personally, I completely disagree with his assessment of the monument. But that's okay...he can miss out on the economic boon to his county by burying his head in the sand and wishing for the old coal-mining days...god knows I sure would have wanted my kids to work in a coal mine. Not.

Marietta Eaton is a gem, and a genuinely kind and thoughtful person. The monument is lucky to have her in upper management. She's also incredibly smart. The science being studied here really does matter, and Marietta is passionate about that. She's very cool.

I predict that in ten more years, everyone will be glad the monument is here. It may even be a national park by then...who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home