Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

News flash: vampires don't exist.

Science takes a bite out of vampires - Yahoo! News

Aside from the honestly scary news in the news, I like it when something like the article above comes out, because you know that people out there actually believe in vampires. It's funny and ridiculous. Ghosts, I have to admit, may exist. As a questioning person I would like to know more about this phenomenon...I suspect it has to do with the human brain and its mostly unknown workings.

To be scared by the motion picture industry is an honest night's enjoyment. I prefer the more cerebral frights to the slasher films. Here are some of my seasonal favorites:

The Legend of Hell House, with Roddy McDowell. Creepy 1960s horror movie about a house haunted by a devil-worshipping hedonist and the psychics that are tortured by him. The last scene is played out on Christmas Day. The most atmospheric soundtrack you can imagine adds to the horror.

The Changling, with George C. Scott. I saw this movie as a teenager and couldn't be ripped away. Scott gives a great performace as a widower in a huge haunted house. The tension in this movie is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

The Haunting. "Based on a true story" of Ed and Lorraine Warren's attempt to remove a demon from the home of a terrified family.

The Sixth Sense. Instant classic.

The Mothman Prophecies. I don't know about you, but I think something is in the water in Point Pleasant, West Virginia. And indeed, something is...Mothman's home turf is, in real life, a Superfund Clean-up Site. However, I was scared silly by the telephone scene in the hotel room.

If I can remember other films, I'll update. I was struggling for a few minutes. I can tell you that I hated the "Blair Witch Project." I just couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to swallow being lost in Maryland when you can walk in any direction for less than ten miles and hit a town. Plus the characters were annoying. I had no sympathy for them.

If you can find the older two movies at the top of my list, I think they are possibly the best. Look into it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home