Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Buck O'Neil died.

ESPN.com - MLB - Former Negro Leaguer O'Neil dies

I was SO hoping Buck O'Neil would be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame before he died. He almost made it last year, but was denied Cooperstown by one vote. It pissed me off at the time. Now it's just plain sad.

I have always been proud to be from Kansas City, and Mr. O'Neil most certainly was a shining example of how great our town is. I will miss not being there for his big send-off. I know Kansas City will throw a huge party for him and it will be a decent, heart-felt gathering.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I do love the game. To me, baseball is the Great American Pastime, not football. I'll never know batting averages, I can't tell you when Mickey Mantle retired, and I'll never remember who tagged who out in the ninth of the last game in the 1986 World Series, and I was there to see it. I still can't remember...I was lost in some kind of haze. The Royals winning was too religious, too blinding a moment to remember much else.

But I do know that Buck O'Neil was a good guy. He loved Kansas City. He loved Arthur Bryant's Bar-B-Que. And he loved baseball. You can't do much better than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home