Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

PostSecret Mystery

PostSecret Map Mystery

As some of you may know, I am a regular visitor to the PostSecret blog. Last week, a postcard with latitude and longitude coordinates was mailed in. As an amateur map nut I was very interested in the post card. We have worked with maps so often here that over the years I have become adept at looking at topograpic lines and visualizing the terrain. I clicked the Google Maps link and the waypoint was somewhere in Maryland.

This week, someone sent in a photo of the supposed area, a wooded drainage with what looks like a burrow, or some sort of shallow cave. Frank the webmaster promises to post more info as he checks into this. Personally, I'm getting a creepy vibe just looking at the photo. I feel like something is in the hole. Maybe even someONE. Maybe not. Perhaps some sort of meaningful life experience went down in this place. It's a mystery. I love good mysteries. I can say that if I lived nearby I would probably go and look around. Obviously someone did otherwise the new photo wouldn't be posted. Hand-held GPS units make doing this kind of thing so easy anymore. You just punch in the coordinates, then hit the "go to" button, and a compass pops up leading you to the point. It's very cool.

I always look at PostSecret every week, and I will be anxious to discover what has gone down in the latest installment of the map postcard mystery. I will be sort of disappointed if the coordinates point to some kind of geo-caching box. Geo-caching is a new hiking craze in outdoor recreation that uses GPS and coordinates to located hidden boxes in hiking areas. You find the box, leave something, and sign a guest register of some sort.

Maybe that's all that this is. Maybe it's something more sinister. I'm sure that more PostSecret readers will go and look around there as Frank continues to re-post this particular card, which is something that he doesn't do very often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home