Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

New Orleans drowning in crime wave

NOLA.com: Reader: Guardsmen not allowed to protect us

Reading the post above from a New Orleans resident who blogged about a mugging made me mad. Really really mad.

And 'scuse me for being pissed off, but I have family in NO and I am concerned for their safety.

If the powers-that-be are concerned that national guard troops might hurt tourism, then what the hell do they think a wave of gang shooting sprees, robberies at gunpoint, and general lawlessness will do to the tourism industry? Someone at City Hall better pull their head out of the...ahem...sand pretty damn quick considering the lastest crime spree that has taken hold of the city.

When I was in NO last December, the National Guard was everywhere, and the tourists on Bourbon Street LOVED them! Whoever (or whatever business or group) is complaining about the national guard needs--dare I say it--an encounter with criminals.

What in the hell is...or isn't...going on down there? I suppose I'll find out in December, which, for the most part, I am still extremely excited about, even considering this rash of gun violence. The same thing was going on this summer, too. When we got to town, it was like a quiet descended for the month of July, which was nice. Then the shooting started again after we left.

Calling all VooDoo practitioners...New Orleans needs a spell for peace. Or cleansing. Or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home