Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Our new phone.

So we got a new cell phone on Monday. We haven't owned a cell phone since 2000. My, they have become so much smaller. My sister works at Verizon so she set it all up for me and sent it over via FedEx. But...what's with all the "texting" and picture stuff? All I want to do is call people, and have them call me. That's it. That's all our old phone did, and oddly enough we found that sucker jammed all the way back in a desk drawer while we were packing our stuff for the move. It weighed almost a pound, and was just smaller than a brick. We threw it away. What else could we have done?

The new phone's camera function is actually scary if you think about it for too long...the lens is very, very small. The picture is fairly decent quality. Just where could you find little cameras like that? Well, anywhere. And now people have them on their phones. A teeny tiny camera could be taking your picture right now. There could be a lens in you DirecTV receiver. We know there is one at every ATM. ARGH! Big Brother is watching!

Other than the total freak-out over the camera function (which I sort of like), I really like the phone. It says "HelloMoto" when you turn it on. Cool. Then, you can use a voice dial function to call people! Way cool--like Star Trek cool. Ok, ok...I've lived in the middle of nowhere for six and a half years, and without a cell tower where I live, there was no call for a cell phone. We had to cancel our cell service when we moved here because there is none! With the new phone, I suppose the antenna technology has improved since 2000, because if I stand on a picnic table in my backyard, I can get a signal from Navajo Mountain in Page, Arizona, some 55 miles as the crow flies. I usually get two, maybe three, bars.

I don't want to think about what the roaming charges would be if I used the phone too much while we wind down our operations here. It will definitely come in handy in New Orleans, but right now it's still sort of useless, which is fine, because we're still learning all about the functions and extras, which we think are pointless. But fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home