Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Congress questions Google over maps whitewashing Katrina damage

US Congress questions Google over maps whitewashing Katrina damage

Isn't replacing current pictures with older pictures sort of...lying?

Google had been providing imagery of how the region looked after Katrina, but replaced that with images before the storm. And a virtual trip through that old New Orleans is a surreal experience of scrolling across a landscape of packed parking lots and marinas full of boats.

The reality is very different: Entire neighborhoods are now slab mosaics where houses once stood and shopping malls, churches and marinas are empty of life, and often gone entirely.


Really, this is a bizarre story. Why would Google do this? Hm...

...the office of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin says it did not have a hand in the matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home