Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, March 30, 2007

"If you're reading this..."

U.S. Troops' Last Letters From Iraq - Newsweek/MSNBC.com

We got the new Newsweek yesterday, and this article was a reprint of four letters sent home from soldiers that died in Iraq.

I'm not a cryer. It takes a lot for me to just bust up and start bawling, and a national news story might break me up every two years or so.

Reading these letters broke me down in about five minutes. I don't know these guys, I don't know their families, I can't even imagine how that loss feels.

I felt helpless and somehow complicit in their deaths-- like I didn't do something right, or I didn't call my representatives in congress and scream enough in 2003 or something.

The US needs to end this war and stop buying foreign oil. As a big "FU" to the war, start walking everywhere and start taking public transportation. Sacrifice something, for god's sake. Fight this in your own way if it offends you. It offends me. I walk a lot. My husband and I bought a really efficient MPG car, not from the big three automakers who are also in on this war. I will start looking into what companies are also defense contractors and stop doing business with them. I was doing some stuff right before, but now I'm going to do as much as I can in my stupid daily life to not support this immoral war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home