Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

I can't disagree with Dr. Blakely

Steering New Orleans’s Recovery With a Clinical Eye - NY Times

NEW ORLEANS, April 9 — In a city fond of its own self-portrait, Edward J. Blakely’s opinions are a shot of cold water.

Dr. Blakely, New Orleans’s belatedly appointed Hurricane Katrina recovery chief, refers to the city’s racial factions as “a bit like the Shiites and Sunnis,” calls the civic elite “insular,” and says the newcomers he wants to draw here will be impatient with local “buffoons.”


Several local politicians now want this guy fired. They are probably the "buffoons" that he has encountered in trying to rebuild. He has caused quite an uproar here, but I cannot disagree with anything he's said. He's right--and the first step in the road to recovery is realizing what kind of problems you have so you can fix them and move forward.

I call Dr. Blakely's comments "tough love." Sometimes, you have to hear the truth, no matter how much it hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home