Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Mistake or manslaughter?

Man dies of thirst during survival test - Yahoo! News

During the last season of my old life in Utah, the last year of tours and the camping gear store, this unfortunate tourist death occurred during a BOSS course. Needless to add, it shook everyone that owned an outfitting company, and we all sort of held our breath and thanked GOD that nobody died on our tours, because it was a realistic possibility. My husband, being an EMT, knew only too well how probable this scenario could be for any guiding company.

Which begs the question...what on earth does the BOSS course really do for you if you die of thirst? What, exactly, is the point of emergency water if the guide can't even recognize the symptoms of extreme dehydration and administer the water in a timely fashion?

And I'm sorry to say this, because I've met Josh Bernstein a couple of times and he is a nice enough guy, but he won't get anywhere blaming the victim. After all...didn't the victim HIRE BOSS because they were the experts in desert survival? I'm sure BOSS has great lawyers...maybe they should tell Josh not to comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home