Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Una Carta de Amor

Damn it, I wish I had buckled down and learned another language as a youngster. I took French in college and, without continued use, immediately forgot most of it. In my old life when I sang, I sang works in Italian, French, German, and my beloved Latin.

Yeah. Latin is the language that I most want to learn. What's up with that, you may ask? I just find it charming in its simplicity, and beautiful in the way its words sound. Plus...if you know Latin--then Italian, Spanish, and French are pretty easy. Ubi Caritas et Amor, Deus ibi est. Ave verum corpus. Magnum Misterium. Tempus fugit.

After living out west, I picked up rudimentary Spanish...as in..."Quanto Questa?" "Donde es el bano?" and some other stuff. Considering I was over 30 when I moved west, that I picked up any Spanish and it stuck in my brain is a miracle of the first order. Sadly, I didn't stick to it very well. I'm stuck in the goofy gringo stage of learning Spanish.

I need a good teacher. Maybe I'll find one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home