Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Advice is big business.

Dear Margo

The "Dear Margo" column on Yahoo! News is one of my guilty pleasures. I read the crazy letters, and I love her no-nonsense advice. I agree with her almost every time.

I secretly harbor a desire to write an advice column, except I would be a bit more...forward in my responses. Perhaps even profane. Well, maybe not profane, but it would be fun. And fiery. And people would either love me or hate me. It would be closer to "Dear Dottie" from the Weekly World News (which I know is satire and I love it) than "Dear Abby."

I listen, although not regularly, to advice talk shows, too. I've noticed that my younger friends really hate folks like Dr. Laura and Dr. Phil. I think it's because they know that the advice that is being given is sound, but they just don't want to follow it because they are brats and want to do what they want to do--propriety and morals be damned. I suppose the only advice I have for that attitude is live and learn. Try it the hard way, go ahead...just stop whining to me about how crappy your life is (OK--there's a taste of Coyote curmudgeon's advice).

I have become a big Dave Ramsey fan lately, too. His show is immediately engrossing, and it is quickly becoming one of the top talk radio shows in the U.S. because most people have such bad financial problems. I love the callers that call in and are just a mess and he, at the very least, gives them hope. Very cool. He talks about Jesus sometimes, which might not be very PC on a talk radio show, but he doesn't beat listeners over the head with it. He simply lets people know that where he is coming from is informed by Christianity. As he has said before, "It's the DAVE RAMSEY show." He can talk about whatever he wants, and it's clear he is an unabashed Jesus fan. He teaches common sense money handling--and he may be the one person that saves America if he can help more and more of us get out of debt.

The advice industry is thriving lately. Even though these are real people with real problems, surely they understand that it's really entertaining, too...or do they? I hope so. Hmmm. I wonder what kind of advice I can offer...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home