Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Christians and Business

ABC News: Christian Businesses Making a Profit While Saving Souls

Would you shop or patronize a business that boasted that they are Christian? What if the business owner was Moslem or Jewish and made that very clear as part of their advertising? It wouldn't work in the USA, that's for sure.

I disagree with this for several reasons. I personally would not make my Christianity a part of my business marketing plan. I would, however, let my personal, private, Christian principals guide my business decisions.

I recall that Jesus discussed how you ought to go into your room and talk with God in that way...the whole "don't let your right hand know what your left hand is doing" thing. Jesus also talked about the man that stood on the street corner, making a big show out of his faith and how displeasing that was to God. Since I follow his teachings, I take Jesus at his word on this issue. Be good, do good, and don't flaunt your faith to manipulate what people think about you.

I am creeped out by using your religion to get more people to come to your business...unless of course your business is overtly religious, like an altar supply warehouse. The bottom line for me? I would probably not patronize a "Christian" advertised business unless they really had something I wanted, because people that flaunt their "Christianity" often times are the most troubled and flawed people I have ever met. No kidding. They usually need the most forgiveness because they have done unto others, all right...then split.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home