Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

News Corp.: Today's Worst People in the World

Threatening letter sent to Olbermann no joke - Countdown with Keith Olbermann - MSNBC.com

In case you need clarification of Keith's comments, here is what was printed in the News Corp.-owned NY Post:

Keith Olbermann flipped out when he opened his home mail yesterday. The acerbic host of "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" was terrified when he opened a suspicious-looking letter with a California postmark and a batch of white powder poured out. A note inside warned Olbermann, who’s a frequent critic of President Bush’s policies, that it was payback for some of his on-air shtick. The caustic commentator panicked and frantically called 911 at about 12:30 a.m., sources told The Post’s Philip Messing. An NYPD HazMat unit rushed to Olbermann’s pad on Central Park South, but preliminary tests indicated the substance was harmless soap powder. However, that wasn’t enough to satisfy Olbermann, who insisted on a checkup. He asked to be taken to St. Luke’s Hospital, where doctors looked him over and sent him home. Whether they gave him a lollipop on the way out isn’t known. Olbermann had no comment.


Unbelievably wrong. Despicable, in fact.

If I lived in NY I wouldn't buy the Post ever again. You can believe that if O'Reilly or Hannity received a powdery letter that it would have been front page, serious news. But Olbermann? His story sits on Page Six, the Post's fluff page for celebrity sightings and gossip. This is not appropriate for a story of this nature, and neither is the tone of this piece, the catty asides, or the lollypop comment. And according to Olbermann himself, the FBI really wanted some quiet on this story. How the Post even found out about it is questionabe--even Olbermann thinks so.

The Post needs to print an apology, IMMEDIATELY, and also state that they in no way condone terrorism in any form, psychological or physical. The Post could also be in trouble from the FBI for printing anything at all...but we'll see if the FBI is serious as this story unfolds. I would guess (I hope) that they have been to the Post's offices and interviewed a few people by now. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that!

I hope Keith keeps us updated on this as much as he can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home