Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Hotel Green pours on `Soho Chic'

Hotel Green brings `Soho Chic' to land of Nantucket Red - ExploreNewEngland.com

I love small business and I really like interesting new ideas. I think that Vanessa Noel is on the right track here with Hotel Green.

I saw her featured in a Travel & Leisure article, and the article gave a web page address, so I decided to go and see what Hotel Green was about. I was a little concerned when her URL was http://vanessanoelhotelgreen.com, thinking it was too big and her name was sort of pointless for a web site address. When the website came up it was one page, with one picture of the side of the building, and a phone number below that. That was all. I was shocked that her web site was SO BAD. That is not going to land any more customers; a site that lame actually will drive people to click off and look at other sites. So I searched around the net some more and found the article above. It was complimentary...to a point. I loved this:

Although the staff is friendly and helpful, Hotel Green does seem to emit a particular brand of if-you-have-to-ask-you-shouldn't-be-here clubbiness that is the essence of certain New York neighborhoods. And yes, there is a charge for the items in the basket.

There is no identifiable concierge who mentions that ``breakfast is served from 7 to 9," or offers to make you a dinner reservation. ``Does the Vanno Bar serve dinner? " you finally ask a staff member. ``Only caviar," is the answer. ``And gravlax."


I then immediately understood that I'm not in the right tax bracket to fully appreciate Hotel Green's offerings. In fact, not many people are. So my questions is...why even have a web site, especially one that sucks ass? So people can find your phone number? I suppose that that's a good enough reason as any. They wouldn't want the NY Chic set to misplace their phone number, especially since that is the only clientele that Hotel Green cares to serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home