Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, November 03, 2006

My Aunt's book.

The Demise of Cotton Picking for the Coon-Dog Jones Eleven: One funeral we were happy to attend

My father's family is a source of great joy and many happy childhood memories for me. My aunt has published a book about their lives growing up on a farm in depression-era Oklahoma. My dad used to tell me stories about picking cotton, how they all lived in a two bedroom farm house, and how hard a life it was. I respect my father immensely for the hard childhood he lived. Because there were eleven children Christmas was hard for them. He said they would get a new pair of shoes and an Orange during the 30s. That was it.

I'm glad someone in the family decided to write it all down. I once asked my dad how it was that the farm was able to be kept in the family during the Dust Bowl/Depression. He said that when his father came to Oklahoma from Arkansas, he chose his piece of land wisely. It had a running creek through it and he guessed that that choice was the thing that kept the farm productive. That and having lots of free labor via eleven children.

My life has been so very cushy compared to my father's. My sisters and I were spoiled rotten compared to how he grew up. Looking back, I didn't realize that at the time. But now I do and I don't have anything but appreciation for him trying to give us the life he didn't have. And I'm so proud of my extended family.

I have close to 100 cousins including the children of my first cousins. It's amazing. Some of my first cousins are grandparents now. It boggles the mind. I always had a great time at the family reunions in Oklahoma, and visiting in California. I'll always remember trips to the beach, Knott's Berry Farm, and Disneyland, as well as just hanging out with the family. The original farm in Oklahoma was sold at auction in the 70s after my grandfather died. Just two years ago one of my cousins was able to buy it, so it now rests with the family again. It is still a beautiful piece of land. The creek still runs through it, and you can see the Cache Mountains from a hill on the property. I don't know what plans my cousin has for the farm, but I look forward to the next family reunion in Oklahoma. My husband hasn't been to one yet. I can't wait to show him the farm and introduce him to more cousins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home